Thursday, July 23, 2009

Barry Lane, Ch. 14: "Befriending the Language" (on teaching grammar)

I am impressed by the ease with which I can adapt Lane's ideas to my own classroom. He has provided them in such a way that I can write succinct, focused lesson plans for a variety of objectives, especially in the area of grammar. His "Spinoffs" are truly nuts and bolts, the kinds of ideas I desperately needed during my first teaching year.

I also like the idea of contracting with my students to improve their own grammar, whether in their journals or for formal assignments. Only when they decide to take responsibility for their own grammar will they begin to improve.

This issue also leads to the idea of grading. Rather than grade students on the content of their writing, I see it beneficial for them if I grade them according to whether they are improving their own grammar through revision base on rubrics they have helped to create.

3 comments:

  1. I think students would reflect on their own growth this way if they help create the rubrics. Good thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of contracting. Give them ownership!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'll make them sign it in blood...er, red ink.

    ReplyDelete