Sunday, July 19, 2009

Everyday Editing

I am reminded about a conversation I had with Rodney last Friday about the kind of questions to use to engage students in conversation. He mentioned the same one that Anderson does in his article: "What do you notice?" (Apparently both Rodney and Anderson are reading the same books.) Anderson's approach makes sense to me.

About the DOL...I was using something similar based on what my cooperating teacher used in the high school classroom. However, I see now how modeling GOOD prose is a sounder approach. After all, if we're to present models from which to learn, why use a "broken" model. For example, if I were to teach good fashion, I would not come to work in coveralls, manure covered boots and a sweaty old John Deere hat, expecting that my students would be able to learn about good fashion by pointing out what was wrong with my attire--NO! I would be wearing a three-piece suit and highly polished shoes in order to show the best of what fashion has to offer.

I'll have to experiment with the use of "reading eyes," "writing eyes," as well as "scientist eyes" and "poet eyes."

1 comment:

  1. I really rethought my use of DOL also. We are visiting the whole idea of editing in our school with our new writing goals. Yes, questions are so important.

    ReplyDelete