Monday, July 27, 2009

Portfolios

In the section, "Setting up writing portfolios," the writer gives a practical outline for structuring the portfolio. In this particular model, the portfolio has a dual purpose: 1) to keep track of a student's progress; and 2) to encourage a final product. Thus, the brochure goes on to suggest weighting the grade heavily toward the former, and less toward the latter category. This makes sense to me and sounds fairly easy to manage, though time consuming.

The questions for me would be: How many pieces of writing would I expect my students to produce? What specific expectations would I have for each paper?

4 comments:

  1. I have the same question as your first. How many is too many pieces and how many is too many before they aren't all important because they all just blur into eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will take some planning, and some experience in the classroom to gauge. What I could use right now is a sample "Year-at-a-glance" for a typical English class at each grade level. Thus far, I've failed to locate one, or find a teacher who will plan out a year with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working with my staff on planning out a year, and if you are teaching I will help you with that. I can always figure in a nine-weeks period we usually take three pieces through the process, but they would have their Writer's Notebook and other drafts they have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to have an answer, but after I read Anna's reponse,I like the idea of letting the students choose their own best piece on writing,so I believe by doing that their portfolios won't be as much as you think.

    ReplyDelete