Monday, July 20, 2009

On "What's Right With Writing" (Rief)

In his essay "The Art of Writing," ancient Chinese poet Lu Chi observed: "In making an axe handle by cutting wood with an axe, the model is indeed near at hand."

Like Lu and so many others, Rief suggests holding up models to students.

I have used models in the past, and am now convinced that I need to use them more extensively. However, I am also mulling over the idea of using short texts as models (suggested by Christy)--even as small as a sentence.

For example, when teaching students how to write a short story, I could take bits and pieces of good short stories, rather than a whole. My rationale for this is because some writers are great at opening lines, others are better at characterization, others have a great way of getting out. Thus, it will be imperative to choose the BEST examples of each to model the concept.

In regard to using DOL (e.g., grammar-based "Mug Shots"), why use a poor model? After all, it is by handling genuine currency day after day after day that tellers are quickly able to spot a counterfeit bill when it passes through their hands. They're so used to the real stuff that a red flag goes up as soon as they encounter falsehood. In the same way, if students are fed the "good stuff" regularly, they will tend to be more able to spot that bad or weak stuff in language.

I need to look into this more deeply when I am back in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Axe Handles
    by Gary Snyder

    One afternoon the last week in April
    Showing Kai how to throw a hatchet
    One-half turn and it sticks in a stump.
    He recalls the hatchet-head
    Without a handle, in the shop
    And go gets it, and wants it for his own.
    A broken-off axe handle behind the door
    Is long enough for a hatchet,
    We cut it to length and take it
    With the hatchet head
    And working hatchet, to the wood block.
    There I begin to shape the old handle
    With the hatchet, and the phrase
    First learned from Ezra Pound
    Rings in my ears!
    "When making an axe handle
    the pattern is not far off."
    And I say this to Kai
    "Look: We'll shape the handle
    By checking the handle
    Of the axe we cut with—"
    And he sees. And I hear it again:
    It's in Lu Ji's We Fu, fourth century
    A.D. "Essay on Literature" - in the
    Preface: "In making the handle
    Of an axe
    By cutting wood with an axe
    The model is indeed near at hand."
    My teacher Shih-hsiang Chen
    Translated that and taught it years ago
    And I see: Pound was an axe,
    Chen was an axe, I am an axe
    And my son a handle, soon
    To be shaping again, model
    And tool, craft of culture,
    How we go on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raymond Pert that posted this poem is my brother! I am glad he is visiting our blogs. I think after seeing how Bonnie used text as a way to have students play with conventions, we can add another strategy to our toolboxes. Christy

    ReplyDelete