Sunday, July 19, 2009

On Stephanie Dix

It's no surprise that students have different ideas about what revision is. Jon's idea seems to be typical. However, Jon indicated that he did a lot of processing in his head before he put them on paper.

I am fascinated with Wirehu's and Ann's ability, considering their age, to articulate to some degree their metacognitive processes. Further, I am intrigued by the major difference in their approaches to revision between poetic and transactional writing.

For example, in his transactional writing, Wiremu "wrote and revised according to a given framework," and he "focused on the preciseness of language, correct punctuation and spelling."

What is significant to me in his case was that he "acknowledged the reader audience." This is certainly not the only difference, but I think a significant one. When I write with an audience in mind, I tend to revise differently, as well. I am more concerned about clarity and precision. However, when I am writing a poem, especially, I am more concerned about sound, form and figure. I often write more for myself than I do the "invisible reader."

Marti Mihalyi's suggestion to consider the latter was a revelation for me, and one that I can take into the classroom. It would be worthwhile to begin reflecting on my own processes from hence, making note of changes in my own approach to revision when writing poetic text.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree. I found it fascinating that they did/didn't possess the learned vocabulary/ terminology to describe their own processes. The workshop is helping me to step back as editor and allow the discussion of process. Not only is it freeing for a teacher, but empowering for the student.

    ReplyDelete